We can expect transformational changes to our lives as we work the Steps and follow the Traditions of Trauma Anonymous:
- Our nightmares, flashbacks, and/or intrusive memories will begin to go away.
- Our hypervigilance will decrease and we will do less scanning of the environment for danger.
- Our bitterness and irritability will decrease and our relationships with others will improve.
- We will experience less of a need to numb ourselves with things like drugs, alcohol, sex/pornography, food, work and others.
- We will sleep more restfully at night and have more energy during the day.
- Difficult-to-control anger will be transformed into healthy assertiveness and self-protectiveness.
- Our self-confidence and self-esteem will return or develop for the first time.
- We will become less avoidant socially, physically, and emotionally.
- We will learn to trust appropriately and be less afraid of others’ anger, irritation and/or disapproval.
- We will no longer be held hostage psychologically by the experience or experiences, nor tormented by regret over their having taken place.
- Our capacity to tolerate both frustrations and excitement will increase.
- We will be able to talk about our experiences with increasing ease and without dissociative symptoms.
- We will regain a sense of hope for the future as well as the ability to plan for it.
- We will regain the ability to experience joy and take pleasure in the mystery of life.
- We will reassert or assert for the first time our right to exist and thrive.